Barack Obama is Losing the Youth

You know, I always hated these ugly looking things.For those of you who were on campus in the fall of 2008, I’m certain I don’t need to remind you of the obsessive nature of Barack Obama’s support. For those of you who weren’t, election day ’08 at Dartmouth was as close as I’ve ever come to group think.

That morning I walked from East Wheelock to the Green; as I crested the hill that the Fayerweather dorms sit on, I was confronted by sidewalks covered in chalk with Obama’s name, students crossing the campus with Barack Obama buttons, some maniac with a megaphone on the corner of Main and Wheelock chanting “yes we can, yes we can!” repeatedly as cars zoomed by, honking their horns. Novack was covered in those eyesores, those Soviet pop-art posters. The mood was euphoric. That evening, soon after the election was called, students rushed through the library.

The midterm elections were a much more sobering affair, naturally. What’s surprised me, however, is just how disillusioned his supporters have become. Here’s a man who’s given them universal, government run healthcare. He’s intent on soaking the “rich.” He’s drawing down troops in Iraq. He appears hellbent on getting out of Afghanistan as soon as he can. He wants the “wealthy” 53% of the American people to “pay their fair share” so that the other 47% of Americans who pay no federal income taxes can have a fair shot.

By all logic, shouldn’t this guy have been canonized in the liberal pantheon by now?

Apparently not. Turns out that when you convince your supporters you’re the second coming of Christ, they’re going to be a little bit disappointed when you can’t walk on water and prefer to “lead from behind.” The funny part about all of this is that the youth, who just three short years ago were some of Obama’s most fanatical supporters, have now swung conservative.

No, no, I don’t mean they want another Democratic president who’s less liberal, I mean they identify as more conservative. By quite a bit, actually, especially white Millenials, who now identify as conservative by a staggering 11-point edge. Michael Barone over at NRO has more.

He places the blame on historically high unemployment for those under 30 and the one-size-fits-all nature of government-run healthcare, which clashes with the personal nature of my generation. It makes sense. The usual stress about jobs for graduating seniors is only exacerbated by the horrendous job market. Internships for younger students are getting snatched up by their older peers because of the lack of employment options.The outlook, in short, is bleak.

I agree; the youth may instinctively dislike the idea of corporate jet owners for some reason, but they’d probably take a job working in the cockpit if they could get it.

Sterling C. Beard